Tuesday, 10 April 2012

Raising the Bar

The next run would prove to be a great challenge like the others however it had added meaning. 
It was The Age Run Melbourne Half Marathon. A scenic 21.1 km journey around the Botanical Gardens and Kings Domain in inner Melbourne.


This was the first run I could nominate the charity of my choice to raise funds for. It was a quick and easy decision.


Having lost my father nearly 2 years prior, I chose to raise funds for the Heart Foundation of Victoria.


This Foundation was great and very appreciative and sent some gear to wear for the day. They also sent a nice pack of goodies after the run to say thank you.


The run itself was great. A nice flat course with plenty of entertainment along the way and plenty of support from the sidelines.
It never once felt like the 21 km it was. More like a nice easy cruise through the parks on a fresh Melbourne Winter's morning.


Maybe it had something to do with spending day after day, into the dark of night, running laps of Princes Park in Carlton. Maybe I was just well prepared!


Definitely a run to circle on the calendar for each year. 
Again after crossing the line, it was nice to take it all in, take on board some refreshments and enjoy the atmosphere with my fiancée.


Coming away from the run, I felt more satisfaction than the other runs prior.
I think it was a feeling I had been looking for since I began running. 
First it was the feeling of hitting the trails in the clean air and cleansing the mind. Now I was at another level and the feeling was pretty surreal. Finally I was left wanting more not needing more.


I can attribute the loss of my father to the drive and motivation of what I do today. It is probably the foundation of why I started running and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. I definitely look at life differently.


Now through this event I had the opportunity to raise awareness and money for a foundation that could help people like him and their families.


Look at life positively and stay away from negativity! 
Thrive for your goals and appreciate life!
Never stop dreaming and never make excuses! 
Life is what you make of it so make the most of it!


The Age Run Melbourne


Heart Foundation


ironmanintraining :)
















No comments:

Post a Comment