This run would raise the bar ever so slightly to a touch over 14 km.
The course was not as flat and runner friendly as the first and would prove to be a nice challenge.
It was a bigger event with closures of major Melbourne roads.
It was also a hot day with clear skies.
The run began at Kings Domain and took in the sights of the Domain Tunnel and Bolte Bridge.
It was a very eerie feeling running through the tunnel and hearing only the pants and pounding feet of fellow runners.
Another interesting sight was seeing around thirty guys using the wall of the on-ramp as a toilet. It was only around 3 km in, so not sure if that was a personal statement about the tolls or anything. Ha!
The Bolte provided a nice view for those willing to stop but I just wanted to get to the part of descending.
It was a mostly uphill course and I really couldn't wait to reach the last 2 km. I kept digging deep and concentrated on a nice steady rhythm. I think prior to this my longest run had been 12km.
Once the course reached the Docklands there was plenty to motivate the runners through the last 4-5 km. Bands lined the street as well as cheerleaders and dancers. People were everywhere yelling and cheering.
This run was also for charity. All runners were raising funds for The Good Friday Appeal.
As runners reached the last 1-2km, the course moved around Southbank and back up onto Flinders Street, where lining the road was hundreds of kids waiting and watching, high-fiving you as you ran passed.
This is one moment I don't think I can forget. It was nice to know that doing something you enjoyed so much could help raise money for them and you could be their heroes for 15 minutes.
It was nice to cross the line and take it all in. I headed straight for the Gatorade and Fruit (I am getting used to all these treats after these runs). Though not much time was spent resting. I had to get to work!
I spent the rest of the day wondering what could be the next challenge.
Half Marathon????
Run for the Kids






No comments:
Post a Comment