Wednesday, 20 June 2012

Reflection

I'M BACK!.. Again.

So last time I mentioned things were busy and I had a pretty busy training and work schedule. 
Unfortunately I got a case of the 'Man Flu' and decided to take some time out from training knowing that work would occupy a lot of my time and energy for the 3-4 weeks. 

I was feeling a tad run down and needed to relax a little and enjoy some of the finer things in life, like good food and drink... but not too much. 
In hindsight it was probably a good idea. After all I wasn't feeling great and haven't eased down on the training since the end of summer. Also with what will be my first event of my season coming up, it was better to get the break done now rather than later in the year in the middle of events.

So now we are around 3 and a half weeks away from The Age Run Melbourne (TARM). I had put in a lot of km training for the run before my break and was feeling very good. As expected, putting on the runners and picking it back up after a month off was going to hurt a little. The run felt good but definitely tired and felt a little sore earlier than usual. It still felt good to blow out the cobwebs. Then it was off to the pool for a swim and much need spa.

Since then it has been business as usual and back into the rhythm. A short run, a medium run and a long run a week. Plus also basketball once per week provides some great sprint/burst training. I also received a kind call from the heart foundation to check on my progress and thank me for continued support through fund raising for them. They also mentioned they had my photos from last years event on a board in their office. Very flattering. Its good to be supporting a cause close to the heart and for a fund who appreciate it.

As mentioned previously TARM will be my first run for the year. From there I will go on to another half marathon and then the Melbourne Marathon. 
Looking particularly forward to the marathon as it will be my first 42.195km attempt. The distance may seem a little daunting but I entered early so I can't back out now. Seriously though I am very eager to do this event. What a challenge!

The drafts are also being drawn up for the next Melbourne Triathlon season, so will be good to get that locked down and keep the motivation flowing.

Next week I'll be heading Brighton for some nice winter bay swimming. Kind of looking forward to it. Not sure why as the weather is hovering from 6-15 degrees at the moment. Water is going to be freezing!

For now it's off for an early night as tomorrow is an early rise for a nice long run. I'll leave you with some photos of one of my favourite places to run in Melbourne. It is around Princes Park in Carlton. Might see you there!




pathtoironman :)




No comments:

Post a Comment